September 2021 to June 2022:
- One of our goals at Palmer Secondary is to increase student engagement, both social and academic.
- We know that when students are connected to their school community, are actively engaged and take ownership of their learning, they are more likely to experience success.
- Throughout the 2021 school year, we have also embarked on a process of actively seeking feedback from students through surveys and student focus groups.
- As adults, we may that we are doing our best for students, but their perceptions of that "best" may be very different. As such, we facilitated our school focus around, .
- We had nearly 90% of students complete various surveys - MDI (grade 8s) and BC Student Learning Surveys (grade 10s and grade 12s) relating to student connectedness- questions like:
- How many staff do you feel closely connected to ( 3 or more)
- What are some ways that staff could help you feel more connected
- How many peers do you feel connected with?
- What activities do you do to help you feel connected to your school?
- As a school and as adults, we may that we are doing our best for students, but their perceptions of that "best" may be very different. The students were consistent with their experiences throughout the surveys and focus groups
- As a staff, we decided to prioritize their actions. There was school wide consensus that we as a staff needed to improve. Some common themes that emerged were:
- More opportunities for student leadership opportunities within the school
- More opportunities for incoming Grade 8s - Summer Connections Program
- Building stronger connections and re-emphasizing the importance of PRIDE
Action: Summer Connections Program (More Opportunities for Incoming Grade 8s)
u125 students enrolled
u7 staff members (majority of which teach the grade 8 courses at Palmer) and 30 senior leadership students
uFrench, Leadership, Physical Education, Music, Home Economics + Textiles, Humanities, Art, Science and Math.
uActivities and games surrounding the curriculum above, with a focus on team bonding, relationship building and communication skills.
Palmer Connections Camp - (Aug 23-Sept 2)